One of the oldest Antiquarian Bookdealers in Switzerland

The Schweizerisches Antiquariat Hellmut Schumann in Zurich celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2003. Since 1900, the company was located on Rämistrasse.

In the year 1828, Johann Jakob Siegfried started a bookshop in Zurich. To this he soon added both an antiquarian and a publishing departement. Over one hundred titles were published under his imprint, of special importance the "Sämmtliche radierte Blätter von Salomon Gessner" which appeared in 1835. In 1836 he disposed of the modern bookshop and expanded his antiquarian business, located in the Konstanzerhaus on Oberdorfstrasse. In 1864, Siegfried's shop was taken over by Orell Füssli & Co., the famous Zurich publishers. Under its manager Edmund Camillo Rudolphi, author of the standard bibliography about Froschauer, the name was changed to "Schweizerisches Antiquariat". This connection prompted us to adopt Froschauer's portrait with the motto "Habent sua fata libelli" for our company.


During the following years the antiquarian stock of Orell Füssli numbered about 350'000 volumes; numerous catalogues were published and distributed to a large clientele. The business changed hands twice in quick succession. In 1886, it went to H. Ernst, who in turn sold it to Albert Raustein in 1888. In 1930 Hellmut Schumann took over, and in 1965 H. P. Kraus bought the company. In 2003 Hans W. Neubauer became the new owner of the business which he has been successfully managing since 1970.

The "Antiquariat Schumann", our present rare books business, was started at the new premises, offering valuable books and manuscripts, incunables, important titles from the history of science, illustrated works, and autographs, catering to an international clientele. Catalogues in the fields of Rare Books and Manuscripts, Helvetica, Science, Literature, etc. have now reached number 599.